Your First Mailing
Before you are able to send emails through the Marketing section of the Control Panel, Engagement Tracking needs to be configured and Unsubscribe tracking enabled. You may create content for mailings and drip campaigns as well as upload and manage lists without setting this up. The only functionality that is unavailable prior to Engagement Tracking configuration is actual sending of email messages.
Several actions must be taken to complete this process.
1. First, decide what URL you would like to use for tracking. Many customers set up a special subdomain specifically for this feature such as “tracking.example.com”.
2. Contact the company that registers/manages your domain.
3. Log into the SocketLabs On-Demand Control Panel, click the Configuration button, and select Configure Engagement Tracking from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter your tracking URL into the Custom Host Name field and click the Validate button.
5. If your URL is pointing to “tracking.socketlabs.com” you will see a message indicating that your hostname is valid. If it comes up invalid and your CNAME settings have just been altered your changes may simply not have propagated fully. Waiting a while and trying again should solve the issue in this case. Otherwise, an invalid hostname indicates that CNAME settings are incorrect.
6. Enable or disable each feature as you prefer. Unsubscribe tracking is the only tracking feature specifically required for sending in our Marketing system.
7. Click the Update button to save your changes then confirm in the subsequent pop-up.
Creating and Sending a Mailing
Once Engagement Tracking is configured properly, you are ready to create and send your first mailing! Follow the below steps to do so.
(If you already have content saved on your server, skip to Step 6. You can reach the Content Manager by clicking on Email Marketing and then selecting "View, Edit, or Send Your Email Content".)
1. Log into the SocketLabs On-Demand Control Panel, click the Email Marketing button, and select Create New Content from the drop-down menu. This will bring you to a page where you can select the type of content you would like to create.
2. The first option, Empty Designer Template, is the best choice if you want to create mailing content but are not experienced with writing HTML code. We provide a simple and elegant drag-and-drop editor with easy-to-use formatting tools to get you started. No experience required! There are also Starter Designs available in case you want to start with a different variety of snippets, color scheme, etc.
If you want your content to include strictly plain text, choose the Text Only option. This is the simplest way to create content although it is the least customizable.
The Raw HTML option, however, allows you to dive right into the code. This is ideal for experts who want to write HTML code for an email from scratch or copy-and-paste HTML that has been provided to you by a designer. This is the most flexible but also by far the most advanced method of content creation. Be aware that you are responsible for the final outcome of any code that you write. We cannot troubleshoot any custom HTML code and do not recommend it for beginners.
3. You'll now be able to create and edit the content for your mailing. For Raw HTML and Text only you will see a plain editor with all available Merge Fields displayed to the right. In the drag-and-drop Designer, however, you can use the tabbed menu to the right of the editor to easily create attractive, personalized content. You can drag in new snippets, edit or delete existing ones, and we provide a full suite of options for further customizing your content.
You can save your progress at any point by clicking the orange Save Content button.
4. To add a Text portion to Raw HTML or drag-and-drop Designer content, click the button at the top of the designer area labeled "Text". This is where you write the content you want plain-text recipients to see. You may omit this entirely but many mobile devices and some webmail providers display only plain text content so we recommend including it.
If you'd like to use the same text here that you included in your HTML portion, simply click on the "Guess" button. Please note that this will overwrite any text you've already typed in this area.
5. To complete the content creation process, click the Save Content button. When you're ready to move on and send this content, click Exit.
6. You will now be on the Content Manager page. Click on the thumbnail for the content you've created to select it and then click the Send button.
7. The pop-up that appears will let you set the sender information for a mailing and choose which recipient list(s) should receive it. Once this is complete, click the Send button. Your first mailing will go out now*!
8. Our Mailings page is where you can find sent/failed and engagement stats for all of the mailings you've sent. As data becomes available, it will be displayed there automatically. You can reach this report by clicking the Email Marketing button and then selecting "View Mailing Details". Statistics for each mailing are available by clicking the graph button to the left of its Name.
*Note: Our systems scan all outgoing traffic for potential SPAM messages to maintain the safety and security of customers across our platform, as well as their end recipients. If one of your mailings is identified as SPAM, it will not be sent. You can then edit the content to try to solve the issue. Once you have done so, simply attempt another Send.
At this point the number of messages being sent is checked against your remaining monthly message allotment. If you are within the limits governed by your current overage settings, the mailing will send successfully.
If you are not within current limits but would be if you raised the allowable overage percentage, you have the option to navigate to the Overage Settings page and alter this threshold. To do so, click the Configuration button and then click "Manage Overage Settings".
Should you try to send a mailing to so many recipients that the highest overage percentage (500%) would still not allow them all, you will not be able to send it before reducing the number of recipients or upgrading your current plan.
Please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns not answered in our Knowledgebase. We're happy to help!